Are you interested in using a forklift dumping hopper for your work? If so, you have to make sure you can operate this expensive piece of equipment safely. What do you need to know about using a forklift hopper, and how can you reduce the chances of someone suffering an injury?
Take a look at several important points below, and remember to reach out to professionals if you have any questions or concerns about the quality of your equipment. At Roura Material and Handling, it would be our pleasure to assist you with your self dumping hopper.
What Is a Forklift Hopper?
A forklift self dumping hopper can always be operated by a forklift because there are built-in slots in the base, making room for the forks. Specifically, a forklift self dumping hopper is a rugged steel box that was invented in the late 1920s by Joseph Roura, who was living in Detroit, Michigan.
This piece of equipment was used to store, transport, and dump various materials with ease. Because this is an important job in multiple industries, the dump hopper became essential in the daily operations of numerous companies.
By nature, this piece of equipment has been designed to be used with a forklift. A few of the common applications of self dumping hoppers include trash disposal, scrap disposal, concrete applications, and more. Because this is a versatile piece of equipment, it can be used in multiple ways.
How To Operate a Forklift Hopper Safely
If you are interested in using a forklift hopper, you need to make sure you do so safely. The first thing you need to remember is that you always need to get this equipment maintained on time, every time. Just as you take care of your vehicle, it is important for you to take care of the hopper as well. That way, you can reduce the chances of someone getting hurt.
Furthermore, make sure the contents of the hopper do not exceed the maximum weight capacity. This will increase the chances of the hopper breaking, possibly leading to an injury. A few important steps you need to follow include:
- Start by spreading apart the forks of the forklift truck to match the size of the opening on the bottom of the hopper.
- Then, insert the forks of the forklift truck into the openings. They should not extend beyond the base of the hopper itself.
- After this, you have to place the truck in neutral. Remember to apply the parking brake.
- After this, make sure the forklift truck is secured to the hopper by using the master secure chain. Remember to flip over the latch handle, ensuring it is in the closed position.
- After this, you should use the forklift to raise the hopper to a reasonable height above the ground. Tilt the forks all the way back to secure the hopper in place.
- Now, you are ready to move the hopper to the correct location.
- When you move the hopper to the right location, you can use the controls of the forklift to tilt the hoper to the correct dumping position.
- Once the contents have been emptied, return the hopper to the earlier position for safe transport.
- Finally, you can move the hopper back to the correct location, allowing it to be refilled with ease.
These are a few steps you need to follow if you want to use your forklift hopper safely. With a bit of practice, you should be able to handle these steps efficiently. There are several types of hoppers available. These include:
- Stainless Steel Hoppers: They are made using a stainless steel body that has been dipped in a galvanized mild steel base. They are commonly used in food, beverage, harvest, and chemical applications.
- Concrete Hopper: This is an extremely heavy-duty hopper that is capable of handling a wide variety of heavy materials. There are multiple models available, and some of them can hold up to 10,000 pounds and 10 cubic yards of volume.
- Scrap Hopper: A scrap hopper uses a lightweight plastic lid. It can keep materials dry, reduce potential odors, and control pests.
These are a few of the most common types of hoppers you might use in your workplace. You need to make sure you find the most appropriate hopper to meet your needs, so work with a professional team such as Roura Material Handling to help you.
Material Handling Safety in the Workplace
If you are trying to find the best hopper to help you, you need to take advantage of safety features. A few of the most important safety features include:
- You should take advantage of trip lever latches that provide protection against accidental discharge and dumping, protecting your cargo from harm.
- You should also take advantage of release handles that allow you to release the laugh even when you are seated, preventing fall injuries.
- Some hoppers also come with a digital change and latches that create additional stability, further reducing the chances of accidents.
If you can take advantage of these safety features, you can protect not only the cargo but also your operator. If you are looking for the best forklifts and self-dumping hoppers in the industry, then look no further than Roura Material Handling. At Roura, we always place the needs of our clients ahead of our own, and it would be our pleasure to do the same for you.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you find the most appropriate hopper for your workplace. We can customize our products and services to meet your expectations.